cover a wide range of consumer products
, that can be found in different types of stores
, from small shops to large businesses, such as supermarkets. The definition of household goods
can cover basically all the tangible objects that can be found in a home
– in the kitchen, bathroom, dining room, bedrooms, basements, attics, the hallways of the house
or its backyard (if applicable).
Thus, those opening a company in Spain
as a store that sells household goods
can basically sell any type of product that can usually be found in a person’s home
. The term takes into consideration all the goods
that can be categorized as movable personal property
and thus, when starting this type of business activity, the company’s representatives can sell all these products, as long as the store where the products are sold provides the necessary conditions for the sale of these goods.
However, with the development of the online environment, such consumer goods
can also be sold on the internet and this is applicable to all the products that are considered household goods
, from small items, such as bedlinen, to furniture or various electrical products. Our team of lawyers in Spain
can assist businessmen with in-depth information on the main requirements for opening a website or a traditional store for selling household goods.
What are the main categories of household goods in Spain?
Since the objects that can be found in a household in Spain are designed for a wide range of purposes, they have to be divided by categories. When opening a company that sells household goods in Spain, the store will be arranged taking into consideration different categories of household items, as it is the case of large furniture companies that also sell other goods that can be found in a home. Some of the main categories of household goods are presented below:
- • consumer electronics, such as computers, radios, microwave ovens, refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, televisions and others;
- • furniture, such as chairs, cabinets, couches, beds, desks, lawn chairs, dressers, wardrobes and others;
- • small kitchen objects: dishes, pots, pans, cutlery, mugs and other objects used for cooking;
- • objects for babies and children – it can refer to clothes, toys, furniture designed for small children;
- • various types of fabrics, sold as blankets, towels, drapes, curtain rods, sheets and others.
It is necessary to know that businesses which operate in this sector sell products which are considered cyclical consumer products. This business sector is of high importance for any economy, as most of the persons will generally need to change various products over the years.
Why open a household appliances business in Spain?
One category of household goods
that can be sold in Spain
is the household appliances
. The household appliances
refer to all the electronics that can be used in a household
(they can be used in cooking, cleaning and for other purposes). Some of the main reasons for investing
in this sector are presented below:
- • the revenue of the household appliances sector in Spain is estimated to reach $1,320 million in 2019;
- • this value will represent an increase of 17.6% compared to the revenues of 2018;
- • by 2023, the household appliances sector is estimated to reach $2,170 million;
- • there are 12,2 million users of household appliances in Spain;
- • this represent a user penetration rate of 26.3% at the level of 2019;
- • for 2023, the user penetration rate for household appliances is estimated at 38.6%.
What are the characteristics of the household goods market in Spain?
Businessmen who want to register a company here in this industry should know the current characteristics of the market. Although the household appliances sector
increased at a very rapid pace, overall, the household goods industry
registered an increase, but it represents a moderate increase compared to this sub-sector. Our team of Spanish lawyers
can provide in-depth information on the regulations that can apply to this industry.
It is necessary to know that the local market is generally oriented towards exports, especially in the case of Spanish manufacturers
involved in the production of household products
. The local consumer market registers a high demand for household products
that originate from China; our lawyers in Spain
can provide more information on the import-export
regulations available here.
As a general rule, local companies are more inclined to invest in this sector through an online business and numerous investments are observed in the e-commerce sector. Businessmen can request for legal advice on how to enter this industry from our law firm in Spain
; our Spanish lawyers
can advise on the procedure of obtaining various permits necessary for this activity, based on the types of products that will be sold here.