Obtain Spanish Nationality Updated for 2021
Obtain Spanish NationalityUpdated on Tuesday 30th March 2021
based on 3 reviews.
How to become a Spanish national in 2021
- • By birth, which awards nationality to any child (regardless of the place of birth), who has a Spanish mother or father; every child born on Spanish territory (with at least one parent born in Spain); any child born in this country whose parents' identity is not known or who are stateless persons.
- • By adoption, in which case Spanish nationality is granted to any foreign child who is adopted by Spanish nationals and who is under 18 of age;
- • By residency, where the main requirement is to have held a Spanish residency permit for a continuous period of ten years. There are exceptions, like persons to whom the state has granted asylum, in which case only five years of residence is required; for people from Portugal, Guinea Ecuatorial, Andorra, Philippines, South America and for Sephardic Jewish persons, only two years of residency are required. The period can even be reduced to one year in some cases.
For complete information on the criteria available for applying for nationality in Spain or other legal matters, our Spanish attorneys can be of help.
How to become a Spanish citizen by marriage in 2021?
The process of applying for Spanish nationality
- - your birth certificate and your spouse's (in case you are married to a Spanish national); in this situation your marriage certificate will also be needed;
- - a consular certificate, which has to comprise: your former nationality, your military situation with your country of origin, criminal records;
- - registration at the Spanish town Council;
- - a certificate from the police stating your time of legal residence in Spain.